Friday, December 10, 2010

The story behind Dink C (Part 1)


Lane Cutler and I were companions in the MTC.  We became instant friends from the first time we met.  Our first meeting came right after saying goodbye to our families.  I went straight to my room and chose a bunk and as I was walking out, I ran into Elder Cutler.  We both felt instantly that we were just resuming a friendship that started before this life.

Lane is from Highland, UT and went to Lehi High School.  He has been in the Army now for at least ten years flying helicopters.  Lane was enrolled at Army University and studying when he received his mission call.  I remember being amazed at the sacrifice that he and another Elder in our group made by having to withdraw from the Army and Navy in order to serve their mission.  Withdrawing from school is almost disgraceful because of the long and complicated process it is to get in.  Last I had heard Lane was in Hawaii after spending several years flying Apache’s in Afghanistan. 

We thoroughly enjoyed our time together in the MTC.  The night before we left for Argentina, we stayed up the whole night and talked.  The next morning we were the last to board the plane because of all the people who came to say goodbye to Lane.  Three plane changes later we touched down in Neuquén, Argentina and were picked up by the AP’s and taken to a home with a ton of bunk beds before meeting the Mission President.  The next morning, we all stood in a circle as one of the AP’s read out loud where each of us were going and how long of a bus or plane ride it would take to get there.  When it was announced that Lane would go to Choele Choel and he would be on the bus for another 4 hours we all laughed.  When it was said I was heading to Esquel and I would be on the bus close to 12 hours everyone laughed...I felt sick!


4 comments:

tiare said...

this is awesome Rik! it's funny. the other day i asked Jared to read to me from his missionary journal on a daily basis so i could picture him as a missionary.... it's cool to hear th "19 year-old" Jared!
is this experience from memory or your journal?

tiare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Riki said...

I know its in my journal, but my writing style was incomplete sentences and thoughts. This is a good way for me to get down some stories.

Keri said...

Love the pic - love the mish stories - Tia is already repeating herself. Can't wait to read more of your stories.