Saturday, December 11, 2010

The story behind Dink C (Part 2)


Months passed and there really wasn’t a way to keep in contact with each other.  Sending letters through the pouch was not allowed and the distance between us made it so we never saw each other at conferences.

After several months I was moved to Plaza Huincul, another ten hours on the bus.  Plaza Huincul is the city where Lane and I were reunited.  He received his transfer to our zone and lived in a nearby city.  It was great to catch up on the adventures and experiences we had up to this point of our missions.  (It was also nice to be able to speak to each other in Spanish and not English)  After a few weeks, and due to the a large group of missionaries going home, my companion and I were forced to close down our apartment in Plaza Huincul and move into Lane’s apartment in order to work two both areas and save on costs I suspect.  This is where Dink C comes into the picture.

Because of the funky tasting water, most missionaries would buy flavor packets, like crystal light, in order to mask the taste.   Just like in the US, consumers had the choice of different brands at the store.  Dink C was always the cheapest and only a nickel per packet if I remember correctly.  The next closest drink mix in price was about $.15 cents.  So like all poor missionaries did, I started out buying Dink C early in my mission but soon realized after taking the first swig that the granules of Dink did not dissolve in the water.  It was horrible.  First, you got the nasty tasting water in your mouth and then the flavored sand would slide down slowly till it hit your taste buds.  Was it really worth saving a dime is what I had to ask myself.  It was a no brainer for me; I switched and paid a dime more. Every missionary realized that mistake and switched...well, everyone but Lane.

0 comments: